Friday, October 05, 2012

UN World Teachers' Day

The 2012 theme for World Teachers' Day is Take a Stand for Teachers. 


On this day, we call for teachers to receive supportive environments, adequate quality training as well as ‘safeguards’ for teachers’ rights and responsibilities...We expect a lot from teachers – they, in turn, are right to expect as much from us. This World Teachers’ Day is an opportunity for all to take a stand

       Irina Bokova, UNESCO Director-General

Teachers help students learn to read, write, calculate, analyze and  work in teams.  The best teachers also help their learners to create, innovate, question, dream - and believe in themselves and the power of life-long learning.

Almost all of us have stories of a teacher who has influenced the direction of our lives.

What stories can you tell about your teachers?
  • Who was your most influential teacher - a classroom teacher? a family member? a friend?
  • How did they influence you?  
  • Do you have single memorable experience that changed your course?
  • Has a teacher made a difference to someone close to you?
 I have had many wonderful teachers, starting with my Dad, who taught me that if something is worth doing, it is worth doing right - the first time.  One of my favorite elementary school teachers was my Grade 7 homeroom teacher, Miss Comerford.  She was the first teacher I had who accepted and encouraged variety in assignments, letting people choose to do pictures or writings or plays - and ensuring that we didn't always choose the same method of delivery.  I remember her taking the time to write cards and notes of encouragement to each student at various times through the year and making a point of writing on birthdays, even for students who had holiday birthdays and weren't in school on their special day.

I am grateful for my teachers throughout my many years of formal education.  They all taught me something about what it means to be a teacher.  They are probably the reason that I became and educator myself.  And since becoming a teacher, I have worked with many more wonderful, dedicated people at all levels. 

Write the stories of your memorable teachers.  And if they are still around, take a few minutes to share your memory with them through a card, an email or a call.    Thank a teacher today.  And take a stand for teachers.

William Arthur Ward
“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”    ~ William Arthur Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment